The U.S. Army Communications-Electronics Command (CECOM) officially stood up in 1981 at Fort Monmouth in New Jersey and was officially re-designated as the U.S. Army CECOM Life Cycle Management Command (CECOM). As a result of the Congressional mandated 2005 BRAC law, CECOM relocated to Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland in 2011. CECOM, one of six independent and inter-dependent partners comprising the C4ISR Materiel Enterprise, are collectively responsible for the life cycle of C4ISR systems. C4ISR systems ensure joint operability across the battle space. The systems our team manages are found throughout Army units, Army platforms and across the spectrum of Army operations.
From setting up headquarters and command and tactical operations centers in remote areas to installing and maintaining communications systems in vehicles and aircraft, CECOM supports warfighters across the globe through training activities; field support for modifications and software upgrades; logistical expertise; information and software assurance; joint network capabilities and interoperability and certification functions to ensure the right equipment is in the right place at the right time. We're in a growth business as information age technology takes on an ever-increasing role in modern warfare as the Army continues to modernize its network.
Fort Monmouth, New Jersey
Fort Monmouth was originally named Camp Little Silver and was responsible for training the 1st and 2nd Reserve Signal Battalions. It was renamed Camp Alfred Vail shortly after its establishment in 1917. The Chief Signal Officer authorized the purchase of Camp Vail in 1919. The Signal Corps School relocated to Camp Vail from Fort Leavenworth that year. The Signal Corps Board followed in 1924.
The installation was granted permanent status and was renamed Fort Monmouth in August 1925. It was named in honor of the soldiers of the American Revolution who died in the battle of Monmouth Court House.
The first permanent structure at Fort Monmouth, the barracks building on Barker Circle, was built in 1928. In 1949, the Signal Corps Center was established and consolidated many existing Signal functions to include: the Signal Corps Engineering Laboratories, the Signal Corps Board, Signal School, Signal Corps Publications Agency, Signal Corps Intelligence Unit, Pigeon Breeding and Training Center, the Army portion of the Electro Standards Agency, and the Signal Corps troop units.
The forerunner of the Army Air Corps and the U.S. Air Force had its roots at Fort Monmouth. In 1928, the first radio-equipped meteorological balloon soared into the upper reaches of the atmosphere, a forerunner of a weather sounding technique universally used today. In 1938, the first U.S. aircraft detection radar was developed here. In 1946, space communications was proved feasible when the Diana Radar was used to bounce electronic signals off the moon.
The Army disbanded the technical services and established the Electronics Command (ECOM) at Fort Monmouth in 1962. This CECOM predecessor was charged with managing Signal research, development, and logistics support. As a subordinate element of the newly formed Army Material Command (AMC), ECOM encompassed the Signal Research and Development Laboratories, the Signal Materiel Support Agency, the Signal Supply Agency and its various procurement offices, and other Signal Corps logistics support activities.
To learn more about CECOM's history, visit http://cecom.army.mil/historian/.